21st June 2015
22 new projects were approved by Abu Dhabi’s Urban Planning Council (UPC) in Q1 of 2015. Mohamed Al Khadar, the UPC’s CEO, anticipates that a total of 85+ large scale projects will be approved by the end of the year, equating to 10 million sqm of Gross Floor Area (GFA). In 2014, 76 projects were approved with 11 million sqm GFA.
To help finance the major projects between 2013-2017, Abu Dhabi has announced AD330 billion in funding. This is intended to support the economic development of Abu Dhabi, as well as provide necessary services. It also contributes to the Emirate’s 2030 Vision.
- Tourism, industrial and housing projects have been approved.
- World Desert Oasis will be a tourist attraction including a safari experience, oasis and botanical gardens, and children’s discovery area. It will form part of the Zoo Aquarium Public Institution of Al Ain (ZAPIA) project.
- The industrial land surrounding Al Ain Airport will be focused on aerospace.
- Wahat Al Zaweya will be a residential and commercial area of 3.8 million sqm; Al Ghaniema will be a residential development for UAE nationals comprising 275 villas; and, Al Shabahat is a housing programme for UAE nationals.
The Western Region
- Al Wajeha Al Bahria is a four-building, mixed-use waterfront development in Mirfa City which will comprise 126 apartments and 10 villas, as well as a retail space, covering a total of 26,935sqm.
- Al Hai Al Tejari is a mixed-used project in Ghayathi City, which will comprise a town centre, office space, retail space, apartments and cinema.
- Bida Al Mutawa in Al Gharbia will comprise 60 villas, community centre, park and mosques.
Al Maryah Island
- Al Maryah Central will be a shopping, dining and entertainment centre. EW11, Maryah Plaza will be a luxury development of residential apartments, 5 star hotel, serviced apartments, commercial units and a waterfront retail promenade.
- Al Reem Island
- Al Qurm will be a low-rise residential building of 36 apartments, overlooking the mangroves, with a ground floor recreational facilities. It will be constructed with natural materials and has been awarded a 1 Pearl Estidama Rating. Mangrove Residence will be another low-rise residential tower with access to the beach and facing the mangroves. M Tower will be a 29-storey residential tower with residents’ amenities and retail outlets.
Al Saadiyat Island
- Mansha Al Saadiyat is a 142,355 residential development which will be located in the northern part of the cultural district stretching along the public beach, with F&B outlets.
- Nareel Island will be an exclusive development of 148 plots with views of Al Bateen, the Gulf and Emirates Palace, boasting waterfronts, beach, health club, mosque and retail centre.
- The existing Yas Beach Club will be extended and split into two parts. One will provide high-end beach club facilities, whilst the other will remain informal.
Other projects include the Al Raha Beach development, development of the Petroleum Institute, a new Secondary Technical School in Al Ain, an extension to Khalifa University which will include Abu Dhabi’s first medical school, and Abu Dhabi Airport's Midfield Terminal.
Since 2008, the UPC’s Urban Development team has delivered a total of 428 projects and master plans, which in addition to those mentioned above, include Zayed University, Al Maryah Island, Guggenheim Museum, and Yas Waterworld.
Related Blogs that you may be interested in:
Classification - a requirement for Abu Dhabi construction and engineering companies CLICK HERE
How to start a business in Abu Dhabi CLICK HERE
For sponsorship, company formation and assistance with your Abu Dhabi company's ongoing compliance requirements, contact Gateway Group of Companies. Email us at: info@GatewayToAbuDhabi.com