5th August 2017
The UAE's new Tax Procedures Law, Federal Law No. 7 of 2017, was published on Monday 31st July 2017, and will come into effect 30 days after it's publication in the Official Gazette. It defines the regulations for the collection of taxes, penalties for non-compliance and the role of the Federal Tax Authority (FTA) which was established in October 2016 under Federal Law No. 13 of 2016.
What does the new Tax Procedures Law cover?
- Tax Obligations - record keeping; tax registration; tax returns preparation; submissions; payments & voluntary disclosure
- Tax Procedures - notifications & tax agents
- Tax Audits - rights of the FTA to perform audits and access records; rights of the person/organisation being audited; notification of results; administrative penalties & tax evasion penalties
- Objections - procedures for appeals & the role and procedures of the Tax Disputes Resolution Committee
- Refund and Collection of Tax - refund procedures
- General Provisions including: confidentiality, time frames, time limits & conflicts of interest.
What do UAE businesses need to do to stay compliant?
- Register with the relevant authority for tax
- Maintain accounting and tax records
- Tax returns to be submitted in Arabic
- Inform the FTA of any amendments of information within 20 business days of the occurrence
- Submit returns in accordance with the provisions of this Law and the Tax Law
- Pay the tax within the time frames specified
What are the penalties for non-compliance?
Administrative penalties will be a minimum of AED500 and will not exceed three times the amount of tax in repesect of which the penalty was levied.
Tax evasion penalties will incur a prison sentence and financial penalty not exceeding five times the amount of evaded tax.
It should be noted that tax assessments can be conducted up to five years after a certain tax period. In the case of tax evasion, assessments can be conducted up to 15 years from the end of the tax evasion period.
Related Blogs that you may be interested in:
WPS, what you need to know about the UAE's federal payroll system CLICK HERE
Trends & Observations of the Economy in the UAE CLICK HERE
Gateway Group of Companies is an award winning company formation specialist in Abu Dhabi. Gateway provides a sponsorship platform focusing on security and control for the foreign company. Gateway’s concierge PRO business setup service ensures that the incorporation is professionally managed from start to finish. Thereafter, Gateway can continue to assist with visa processing requirements. Email us at: info@GatewayToAbuDhabi.com
Jenny Hunt, CEO Gateway Group of Companies